Last night around 11pm I decided to make Lemon Cupcakes with vanilla butter cream frosting…
Its been awhile since I posted anything! So hello to anyone who sees this and or reads it. I wanted to share this recipe with you all. This was a little pick me up at the very very end of a hard frustrating day. This recipe is light and refreshing and perfect for the dreariness of winter if you are feeling a little bit down.
I got the original recipe off of iambaker.net although I made a few adjustments. I added real lemon juice and lemon rind! Because there is nothing better than the smell of freshly grated lemon especially as its wafting out of the oven, having been baked into a tasty cupcake.
Something to be aware of! Baking soda and baking powder are affected when acidity changes. I had to use some baking soda to counter balance the acidity of the fresh lemon juice since the original recipe didn’t originally call for it. Here is an informative website I referenced to find out more information.
So now for the recipe:
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 3-4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease or line muffin pan.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat white sugar, 1/2 cup butter, eggs, fresh lemon juice and lemon zest together until smooth.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, alternating with cold milk. Continue mixing until light and fluffy.
- Spoon batter into the prepared muffin pan. (about 2 tablespoons)
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean, 15 to 20 minutes.
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- In medium bowl, mix powdered sugar and butter with spoon or electric mixer on low speed. Stir in vanilla and 1 tablespoon of the milk.
- Gradually beat in just enough remaining milk to make frosting smooth and spreadable. If frosting is too thick, beat in more milk, a few drops at a time. If frosting becomes too thin, beat in a small amount of powdered sugar.